Benefits of Volunteering at Safe Harbor
As a Safe Harbor volunteer you know you are making a positive impact in your community and you will:
- Help Survivors of Violence: As a Safe Harbor volunteer you will ensure essential services to women, children, and men who are survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault. Your services can help these individuals rebuild their lives.
- Gain New Skills: Volunteering at Safe Harbor is an opportunity to build or develop your skill set. Our volunteers receive 40-hours of training!
- Network with Professionals: During your time at Safe Harbor you will establish connections with our professional staff and many other committed volunteers, which will help develop your connections in your community.
- Increase Your Happiness: Studies have shown that people who volunteer their time and services are happier than those who don’t. Build a happier life and brighter future for you, your community, and violence survivors.
Safe Harbor Volunteer Requirements
For volunteers opportunities that involve direct work with clients, please note the following requirements:
- Volunteers must complete a background investigation, which volunteers are asked to pay for if they have not lived in Utah for the past five years.
- 40-hours of volunteer training are required, which includes 20-hours of shadowing, as well as attendance at on-going training sessions.
- Volunteers must be over 18-years-old.
- Volunteers must comply with all Safe Harbor policies and procedures, including signing a confidentiality agreement.
- Given the investment of resources in our volunteers, we require a six-month volunteer commitment.
Volunteer Opportunities at Safe Harbor
Crisis Response Team Advocate Volunteers
Volunteers meet with victims to offer support, resources, and referrals.
Crisis Team Advocate Volunteers are on-call after hours (evenings and weekends). On-call shifts are generally, 12:00am to 6:00am, 6:00am to 12:00pm, 12:00pm to 6:00pm, 6:00pm to 12:00am.
Service Project Volunteers
Past projects have included:
- General property maintenance
- Storage organization
- Repainting shelter bedrooms
- Special activities/events
If you’re interested in completing a service project with Safe Harbor, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 801-660-6104.
- Answering the crisis line
- Completing intakes
- Accepting and organizing donations
- Problem solving with residents
- Assisting with other shelter operations
This role is perfect for someone who is solution-oriented, enjoys working in a team environment, and is comfortable dealing with crisis.
Monday-Friday 8:00am to 12:00pm, Also Friday 4:00pm to 8:00pm
Weekends 8:00am-12:00pm, 12:00pm to 4:00pm, 4:00pm to 8:00pm.
Pro Bono Professional Volunteers
Safe Harbor Crisis Center particularly needs Pro Bono services donated by:
- Family counselors
- Child therapists
If you like talking with people or have strong organizational skills, this could be the perfect volunteer position for you!
The Fundraising Volunteer schedule would be flexible and can even be done from home, if you prefer.
Protective Order Court Volunteers
This role is perfect for someone who is solution-oriented, compassionate, and assertive when needed.
Protective Order Court Volunteers should be available to attend Protective Order hearings every Wednesday morning from about 8:30am until 12:30pm.
Outreach Center Volunteers
Outreach front desk shifts are Monday through Friday 10am-2pm, 2pm-6pm.
This role is perfect for anyone who wants to make a difference in the lives of children impacted by violence.
Life Skills Facilitator
Shift: Mondays 6:00pm to 8:00pm